Friday, December 26, 2014

Cado's Christmas Call

 Oh dear, I don't think Dave or I are quite done being teary eyed over Cado's Christmas call.  The second we got his connection, Cado was wiping away tears from his eyes.  That immediately brought tears to ours.  We had a bad connection and Cado could hear us, but we could not hear him.  Cado spent half of his time typing answers to our questions and trying to get help.  When we gave him instructions on some ways to try to trouble shoot the problem, he replied with the line at the bottom of the screen!
 Even though we could not hear him, we knew exactly how he felt when we brought his dogs in.  Here he is seeing Captain and trying to talk to him.  Those dogs got three visits during our call!
 We finally moved upstairs and I called Cado on his cell phone.  He was able to talk into it on our speaker phone and then he didn't have to type any more.  We got to spend one hour with him. Some of the interesting things he said were:  1.  His ECCO shoes are already falling apart!  He is doing a ton of walking.  2. That he still only eats chicken soup stuff for meals.  3.  That he has only seen one other white person (except for missionaries) in any of his areas.  4. The food is really spicy.  5.  He ate a tamale from a street vendor once and got really sick!  6.  He basically eats pancakes, sandwiches and fruit...which the fruit is really good, and 7.  He has probably gained ab out 15 pounds and one pair of his pants don't fit anymore!

 After that hour finished, he asked, "How long have we been on the phone?"  When we answered, "One hour" he just started to cry again.  We knew that that must be his time limit and he had to go.  As we were getting ready to hang up the phone, he called my attention and through his tears he said, "Mom, mom, I want to tell you how sorry I am for being such a little "sheat" to you when I was home."  He went on to say that it has bothered him his whole mission that he had treated me that way and he wanted to let me know how sorry he was.  Now that was a moment that touched my heart and I will always treasure and it will most likely bring tears to my eyes for the rest of my life.

No comments: