Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Sad Day at Our House...Riley Died

It was a very sad night last night. When Mariah and I drove home we saw Riley laying on the front lawn in the dark. We instantly knew something was wrong because Riley never leaves his dog bed in the garage! When we got out, he didn't get up. He tried, but he couldn't. We both started to cry because we knew that it meant that this was his last bit of time.

I called Blaine and he came over, looked at Riley, and said, "Yep, he's done." So, Blaine gave him the shot to put him to sleep and let him be out of his pain. We were very sad to say goodbye to our 16-year-old, "tupid dog."

Dave was out of town and so Blaine took Riley's body with him. However, when Cado came home and found out that Riley had died he just sobbed and he said that he really wanted to bury Riley. (Of course, Riley wants to stay on the farm!)

So, he, Mariah and I, went out in the cold, dark, past the barn and dug a big hole. Blaine brought Riley over and it was very touching to see Cado carry his dog for the last time. Mariah put a pink blanket over Riley and a put a piece of bread by him. She also had brought down a box of Life cereal, because it was Riley's favorite, but we forgot to put it in. (Kind of ironic huh) Cado very carefully put the dirt over Riley and then we all helped fill it in. It was a special time to be with my tender-hearted kids.

I told them that I bet Riley is up in heaven...chasing veterinarians! (He never liked Blaine!) ha ha

2 comments:

Dianne said...

Makes grandma cry!!!!!

wendi said...

That made me get all teary-eyed. I started to read it to Bob, but couldn't speak so I told him I would email it to him.

Thanks for sharing. You're such a good mom.