Friday, March 16, 2012

Dad's Talk at Mom's Funeral

Dad’s Honey Do List

Dianne’s biggest love and concern was for her family. That was what kept her going throughout her entire life. I think she was kind of worried about leaving our children in my care. She had some valid reasons for these concerns.

1. Jim rubbing Vaseline on the brand new carpet that she had waited 6 years to get

2. Brian riding his trike down to the highway while I slept.

3. DeeAnne getting lost.

She would probably say, I was kind of a slow learner. And it’s taken her many years to feel comfortable enough to leave her family in my hands. She frequently left lists around the house in strategic spots to help me out. I have all the children’s cell phone numbers in bold print on the fridge. I have birthday calendars on the wall. There are reminders all-around of what was truly important to mom. One list that was never written, but thoroughly taught, was her Honey Do list. These are things that she did that I know she would want me to do. These are the things that will continue her wonderful legacy in our family.

Honey Do List:

1. Keep the snack cabinet full!

2. Learn to sing Happy Birthday for the kids and grandkids birthday phone calls.

3. Learn how to use a computer get my own Facebook account to keep up to date on family news and what my grandkids are doing.

4. Stock both refrigerators when the family comes home.

5. Learn how to fill plastic Easter eggs with candy and MONEY!

6. Be quick on the draw and learn how to answer the phone on the first ring! And know which button to PUSH!

7. Memorize the brownie recipe and cook them for every family gathering.

8. Reserve every President’s Day weekend to spend with my daughters…SHOPPING and going out to eat!

9. Remember that baby blessings, baptisms, weddings and even funerals are important events to be part of.

10. And most importantly, ask more “how are you doing?”; give more hugs and say more “I love you’s.”

In honor of mom, I’m going to work on Dianne’s Honey Do list to continue the legacy and honor her.

1 comment:

wendi said...

love it. Your mom was such a great, spunky person.