Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Thought You Couldn't Sleep

Saturday night Dayton wanted to go out with his friends. In my great "motherly" wisdom, I asked him to be home by 12:30 a.m. Well I guess he wasn't happy about that and went and told Dave that he didn't think that that was a fair curfew for a man who has been living on his own for a year! Well, Dave called us all together and we went to the office and had a little chat. Dave asked Dayton what he felt would be a fair curfew. Dayton said 1:00 a.m. and so I agreed to that. Then Dave took one of those "teaching moments" to tell Dayton WHY a curfew was good. In the dialogue he pointed out that "We don't sleep until he gets home." The discussion went well and Dayton took the advice like a trooper. Then as he was leaving the room, I said, "Oh yeah, will you please come and wake us up when you get home?" Dayton turned with a somewhat surprised look in his eye and smartly replied, "I thought you couldn't sleep!" He kind of caught us in this one. The good part of it was that at least we knew that he had been listening!