Monday, March 3, 2008

Day 5- Lamanai & Girls' Night Out

Today was one of my favorite days. We crossed the border into Belize and took a boat down the New River to Lamanai. I got a pretty good sunburn on the way there. It was in the jungle, and my only disappointment was that we were the only boat that didn't get to see a crocodile. I thought I spotted a small one, but it was just another iguana! We did see a lot of waterfowl including the Jabiru stork sitting in it's nest. The Jabiru can stand 5 ft. and has up to an 8 ft. wingspan.

The view of the High Temple from the New River--they use pretty literal names here!They don't call it the High Temple for nothing. By the time we got to this one, most people were tired of hiking, but you just had to do it for the awesome view of the jungle.


It was steep and we were glad to have a rope to hold on to.


Dave and Shirlene looking cute at the High Temple!A mask at another area.

There is a Mennonite community here on the river. This couple was fishing and we tossed them some bananas.



Some freshwater snook--I don't know how many times people asked what they were called.
We returned home sweaty and sunburned, and Shirlene decided we should take a break from our husbands and have a girls' night out by taking a taxi to Sam's Club to get some pizza and chocolate. We were kind of tired of tacos by now!Shirlene and I taking a pic of ourselves in the taxi, and having a great time trying to talk to our driver en espanol. We were telling him what phrases we knew and I got him really worried that I needed to pull over for a bathroom.



Back in the lobby with our haul Brittany, Doni, Janice, myself and Shirlene had a chocolate party and asked everyone in Spanish if they'd seen the moon, because there was a lunar eclipse that night. Then Shirlene and I were supposed to play cards with Nathan (19) and Hillary (20), but they stood us up, so we were home way before our 2 a.m. curfew.


No comments: